- What about shipping?
- How long until I receive my item?
- Will I get a tracking number?
- Who is UPS? Who is USPS?
- What about shipping insurance?
- Will you ship to a P.O. Box?
- What is the difference between UPS Ground and UPS 3-Day Select?
- Can I pay using a paper check?
- Can I pay using bank-to-bank wire transfer?
- Non-US address with my payment account, Am I a “US buyer”?
- Paypal / What is a “Confirmed Address”?
- Paypal / What is a “Verified” account?
- Paypal / What is “Instant payment”? What is “eCheck”?
- Void-space in the packing-photos … can’t it shift and get damaged?
- There is damage or other problem with my order, now what?
- Item is listed “not available” to my country, can I buy this item?
- Which carrier for international?
- What about duty/taxes?
- Canada / Would you be willing to ship U.S. Postal (USPS) instead?
- Canada / What is the UPS brokerage fee?
Q: What about shipping?
A: Shipping overview:
- Your ship-to address must be a street address. UPS will not deliver to a Post Office Box or APO/FPO.
- Time-To-Ship: We ship within one (1) business day of cleared payment.
- Carrier: All US-bound items ship UPS Ground. Faster UPS services are available at additional cost; please inquire before you buy.
- Tracking: The tracking number will be emailed to you (directly by the carrier) when your item ships, check your junk-mail or spam folder, since it may have ended up there.
- Confirmation: "Signature Required" for all shipments whose value exceeds $750, and at our option for lesser-valued shipments.
- Upon delivery, please immediately inspect your item; if there is any issue, problem, or damage: Save all of the (Yes, ALL, as in every-piece-of) packing material, and see Damaged Item below.
- Your item will be carefully packed, see Why Us
- How long until I receive my item? See next question…
Q: How long until I receive my item?
A: We ship UPS-Ground within one (1) business day of cleared payment, add to that the time-in-transit from this map.
Current Map ▲ UPS Ground▢➚
Business days in transit from
PRINCETON, NJ 08542
This map is a general representation of current UPS-Ground transit times; almost always spot-on and exact. But rarely, in a given color-block, a tucked-away town may be a day more; a large city a day less; for an exact time-in-transit calculation use this form: UPS Shipping▢➚
If you need faster service (UPS Next Day, 2nd Day Air) or if timing is critical to your purchase, please contact us.
Q: Will I get a tracking number?
A: Yes, you will receive a tracking number on the day that we ship your item; it will be emailed to you directly by carrier, so it is important that you are not spam-blocking email sent from the carrier’s tracking system. All US-bound parcels ship UPS; some overseas-bound parcels optionally are offered with USPS Express Mail International. UPS recipients also receive a second auto-notify email from UPS after delivery.
Please be sure that you are not blocking mail sent from these addresses:
Q: Who is UPS? Who is USPS?
A: UPS is United Parcel Service, a private carrier. USPS is the United States Postal Service, the US government sanctioned mail and parcel service. All domestic (US bound) packages are shipped UPS; we ship most international-packages using USPS.
Q: What about shipping insurance?
A: All US-bound items ship with UPS, fully insured with UPS against loss or damage in transit. International-bound shipments are also insured, pursuant to the insurance-limit set by the carrier, and, for USPS-International, the maximum insurance available varies by country and can be quite limited.
Maximum insurance coverage for USPS International:
Germany $500, France $650, UK $650, Switzerland $650. USD
Q: Will you ship to a P.O. Box?
A: Sorry, but we can not ship to a Post Office Box — we ship using UPS, and UPS will only deliver to a street address.
Q: What is the difference between UPS Ground and UPS 3-Day Select?
A: Available to the 48 contiguous US states, UPS 3 Day Select is described on the UPS website as “An ideal mix of economy and guaranteed delivery by the end of the third business day.” You could think of it as UPS Ground service with a time in transit of three business days. UPS does not offer 3-Day Select to destinations where UPS Ground is just as fast. By the way, we can also can ship via the faster UPS services of 2nd Day Air and Next Day Air; inquire as to cost before you buy.
Q: Can I pay using a paper check?
A: We prefer electronic payment for most items, but if you really want to snail-mail us a money order, personal check, or bank cashier’s check … submit our Contact Form and we will respond promptly.
Q: Can I pay using bank-to-bank wire transfer?
A: Yes, we accept (or sometimes require) Fedwire bank-to-bank wire transfers for certain high-priced items … submit our Contact Form and we will respond promptly.
Q: Non-US address with my payment account, Am I a “US buyer”?
A: No, not for us. You are only a “US buyer” if your Billing and Shipping address are both within the United States.
Q: Paypal / What is a “Confirmed Address”?
A: Generally speaking, a Paypal Confirmed Address means that your registered address at Paypal is the same address where you receive your credit card billing statement. Here is how to tell if your Paypal account has a Confirmed Address: Login to your Paypal account, click Profile (in the links-bar above your name), click Street Address in the Account Information column, the status for your address is shown on that page.
Q: Paypal / What is a “Verified” account? Does that count as a Confirmed Address?
A: No, a Paypal “Verified” account and a “Confirmed Address” are two different things. A Paypal Verified account is a Paypal account which you have linked to your (bank) checking account, and completed a short verification process. We do NOT require buyers to have a Verified Paypal account.
Q: Paypal / What is “Instant payment”? What is “eCheck”?
A: Funding your Paypal payment with a credit card or debit card is what Paypal calls an “Instant payment”; it generally will clear to our account within a few seconds, and we can get your item shipped right away. If you are funding your purchase using a credit/debit card, the next paragraph is of no concern to you.
Very rarely, a payment will arrive with a notice from Paypal to NOT ship the item until further notification, which is typically 5 business days later — this because the buyer has funded the transaction using an “eCheck”. An eCheck is a Paypal payment that you fund using your bank account via ACH when — this is important — when you either have no credit card on file at Paypal or when some piece of the credit card info on file, like the expiration date or the billing address, is incorrect. Please make every effort to avoid this unfortunate occurrence, so that we can ship your item right away. Funding the Paypal transaction with a credit/debit card avoids the possibility of this delay; if you choose to fund via ACH please check that your credit card info at Paypal is up to date.
When will your item arrive? See Transit Time above.
Q: Void-space in the packing-photos … can’t it shift and get damaged?
A: Ahh… good question — you noticed, perhaps, in the packing-photos, some empty void-space in the box. We usually photograph the packing at a stage where you can see the item, and some of the packing material around it, but before we add additional packing material so that there is no empty/void space in the box. Please know that ready-to-ship boxes are always fully stuffed with packing material to prevent any shifting or settling. We double-box just about everything and pack both inner and outer boxes such that there is no void space. We tend to go overboard on packing — we want to be certain that your purchase arrives intact, visit Why us for more info.
Q: There is damage or other problem with my order, now what?
A: We pack very carefully, and take every precaution to ensure that your item reaches you exactly as described. All items are insured with the carrier against loss or damage in transit. Upon delivery, please immediately inspect your item; if there is any issue, problem, or damage:
- Stay calm. We will work with you to resolve the problem. Contact us immediately, and await our response.
- Save all packing material — Yes, ALL, as in every-piece-of packing material.
- Please DO NOT file a Paypal dispute or credit card claim, doing so will only lengthen and complicate resolution. Give us the chance to resolve the issue first; you will still have the option of filing a dispute afterwards.
- If your item arrived damaged: Contact us immediately; we prefer to notify the carrier ourselves. But, in the unlikely event that you do not hear back from us within 24 hours: Notify the carrier via UPS Claims. We will, of course, also be in contact with the carrier and with you to assist this process. DO NOT simply return the item, since that will void insurance coverage.
Again: If you are not happy with your purchase, for any reason, please contact us and we will work with you to resolve the issue.
Q: Item is listed “not available” to my country (or my Paypal payment has been blocked), can I buy this item?
A: Often we are happy to make an item available to you even if the item’s listing does not initially include your country. Please submit our Contact Form and we will respond promptly.
Q: Which carrier for international?
A: UPS is our default carrier, but for some items/countries we may also offer US Postal Service Express Mail International as an alternative. Sorry, but we do not offer Priority Mail International or First Class International.
Q: What about duty/taxes?
A: The buyer is responsible for all duty, taxes, brokerage fees, and customs-clearance fees. These charges are payable directly to the appropriate carrier, broker, or customs agent, upon delivery.
Q: Canada / Would you be willing to ship U.S. Postal (USPS) instead?
A: Maybe. Depends on the item value, box size, and a few other considerations. Inquire before you buy.
Q: Canada / What is the UPS brokerage fee?
A: Canadian-bound parcels shipped UPS Ground, called “Standard to Canada” service by UPS, incur an added fee for clearing customs, which UPS calls a brokerage fee (by the way, this fee is NOT incurred for their faster services). This brokerage fee is in addition to the S+H charge that you paid to the seller. The buyer is responsible for this fee; it is payable directly to UPS upon delivery of your package. More info: Canada Fees.